A Courtesy – Let Candidates (and Potential Candidates) Speak for Themselves

 

The easy thing to do is to paint your opponents as awful people – to make claims about who they are and what they believe and what they will or will not do if elected. The much harder thing to do is to allow the respect and courtesy to allow candidates to “paint themselves”. Let candidates articulate their positions on specific issues and allow others the opportunity to judge for themselves the merits of individual candidates. Let their track record speak for itself, it is only fair.

What may be the worst kept secret ever: I do plan on running for Victoria City Council this fall (as a councillor), however, I am not yet ready to launch the formal campaign. Which is why people are already trying to define who I am and what I will do or will not do if elected. They’re already flinging around labels in the hopes that rather than judging for yourself who I am and whether or not I’d be a good choice to sit around that table, you’ll take their word and advice on who to vote for (or not vote for as the case may be). Please feel free to look me up - between twitter, blogger, linked in and otherwise there is a fair bit of background on me out there as a pre-campaign primer on who I am and what I've done. 

During my campaign, I will refrain from painting my opponents – I will not speak to their positions, it is their duty to do that for themselves. I will commit to speaking on my own positions – and trying to articulate them as best as possible. I will commit to listening to feedback on those positions (which may modify them to some degree, as is reasonable). Ultimately, when a person chooses to run for council, their opponents are also potential colleagues and as such, there is a duty to treat those who are running with respect.

Please note – I am not yet ready to launch my campaign. There is a long list of pre-launch activities to do, and there is no shortage of work associated with them. Add to it: I am currently engaged in the labour force (I help to run a small business with my husband), am a parent to two middle sized kids (ages 9 and 11), and find myself reasonably busy with those things. Like many other candidates (or potential candidates), running for council, and being a councillor (if elected) is an add-to-plate. It is something I am doing because I love my city and I feel that I could effectively contribute in making the city a place that better serves its residents, those who work here and those who visit here. It is something I am hoping other reasonable people with the knowledge, skills and abilities to move our city forward will also step up to do.

Lastly, if you’d like to help me in this endeavor – please drop me an email and connect, letting me know how you can contribute I’d love to have your help in the months to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tale of Representation without Taxation: Victoria Municipal Governance

Another Week, Another Bad Idea (or two) from the City of Victoria

Why Municipal Politics? Why now?